Friday, August 10, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent

One of my first pins from pinterest was DIY laundry detergent. I finally got around to trying it last week. You can find the original post and tutorial I followed here.

I cut the recipe in half for my first go around, so as to not waste ingredients if I didn't like it.  So I used:

1/2 bar of soap
1/2 cup of washing soda
1/2 cup of Borax
1 gallon of water.

First grate 1/2 bar of soap into 1/2 the water. Stir occasionally until soap is melted. This took quite a bit longer than I expected.


Next add the washing soda and borax. Bring to a boil. Transfer off heat source.

Add the other half of cool water. Once the mixture is cool(ish), transfer to container of you choice. I found the gallon container at the dollar store.

After a day or so, the liquid will thicken up a bit and become more the consistency of liquid detergent. I used it right away because I was out of detergent. It worked great! The original blogger says that it will not create suds, and I found this to be correct. 

I am still looking for the perfect "scoop" get detergent from the container. Looks like another trip to the dollar store!

I absolutely recommend trying this pinteresting money-saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment